Thank You North Arlington

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Update on my home.

On Wednesday the 16th early in the day my family reached out to Mayor Pittman and called the town hall to find out what was going on with the letters I received from the boro planning board. He wasn’t available then.

But later in the day Councilman Roche stopped by my home to speak with my family about the letters and to ensure us that Eminent Domain wasn’t an issue for my property. He explained to my family that indeed there were two projects that were presented to the mayor and council. One of them was the 5 story Renaissance project on my side of the street (Palumbo’s, UVA and Art Roberts’s studio).

The other project is called the ‘Village’. That’s across the street from me. That’s 601 to 623 ridge road. That’s’ also where Joe’s Bakery, Jade Chinese Takeout, and Sanborn’s deli are today. That project will be looking to create a first floor parking lot and a three story condo complex if Palumbo gets his way.

Later in the day. Mayor Pittman stopped by my home. I wasn’t home, be he left me a number to call him to address this issue. I called the number and spoke with the mayor. He to, was like councilman Roche and unaware of this mailing by the boro concerning my property. He pointed out that even though both letters have the boro seal on them. The mailing was from the developer, not the boro.

I know it's legal to only send letters to people within 200 feet of a proposed project. But these aren't little projects and they both affect the boro dramatically. I would hate to live 201 feet away and not know what's going on next door to me. There has to be a better way of communicating that info throughout the boro.

He also mentioned to me that the boro lawyer spoke with the developer and made the mayor's position on Eminent Domain very clear.The Mayor made it quite clear he hasn’t changed his stance on Eminent Domain and didn’t understand what Palumbo and his developer were up to. We will all find out on the 23rd of February.

I have also found out today that I’m not alone in receiving letters from this developer on Eminent Domain. At least one other family across the street from me has had to endure the abuse by Palumbo’s developer.

I don’t know why we would do business with Palumbo’s developer. If Palumbo wants to move and expand. Move. But not at some family’s expense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home